Years ago, getting a camera would have been an easy thing. If you were an amateur, then all that you needed was to buy one of those cheap disposable cameras that you can use for a few times and not really worry about afterwards. There were other types of cameras then that were meant for amateurs and the thing about those cameras was that they really didn’t have that much of technical details to them. You really didn’t need to know that much about cameras and stuff in order to buy them. The problem is that the qualities of the pictures that they took are not really that good.
If you wanted professional looking pictures then you would have to spend a great deal of money to buy a professional camera and really spend time in learning how to use it.
The Digital Age
Things are different now. With digital cameras, you would have the ability to take professional looking photos and yet you do not have to spend a fortune. The digital cameras of today are more expensive than the disposable cameras of yesteryears but they are not as expensive as the professional cameras.
How to Buy a Digital Camera
Here is a short guide on how you can buy the right digital camera for your needs:
- You should consider buying from a well-known brand, but sometimes even a cheap an unknown maker could satisfy your needs.
- You can choose between a point and shoot and a digital SLR. A point and shoot is easier to use but a DSLR can give you high quality images.
- Think about the grip of the camera. Will you have a hard time holding on to it? If you will have difficulty in holding on to the camera then you might not be able to take good pictures.
- Don’t be fooled by the number of pixels that a camera can offer. While pixels are important, the quality of the lens will actually be more vital in producing a good image. The same thing is true when it comes to the responsiveness of the equipment.
- How fast is the camera? If it takes too long to respond to your command then it might not be the best piece for you. Pick a camera that can respond instantly.
These are the things that you need to look for when it comes to a digital camera.
If there is a common thing between a digital camera and a traditional one, it is the fact that both types have to be kept clean. This need is not just for the sake of appearance, but for performance as well. A clean camera can take better pictures.
Many camera owners however are reluctant to clean their cameras on their own. This reluctance is mainly due to the fact that they are fearful of damaging the equipment. They are aware that the camera is a sensitive piece of tool and that any improper mishandling of it could result in it getting damaged. Repairing a traditional camera is a relatively simple when compared with repairing a damaged digital camera. Sometimes one would be better off buying a new camera than trying to repair an old one. That is how expensive it can be.
How to clean your digital camera
In order to help you in your quest to learn the proper way of cleaning your digital camera, here are some tips that you can follow:
- You would need the following when cleaning your digital camera:
- A piece of soft cloth.
- Cleaning paper meant for camera lenses.
- Cleaning fluid meant for lenses.
- A small soft brush.
- Refrain from using pieces of cloth that has particles on it as well as paper that is rough. Do not use canned air since it can drive small particles inside the housing. Do not use rough brushes on your camera.
- Make sure that you turn the camera off before you start cleaning.
- Now blow gently on the camera lens to dislodge any loose particles on it. Keep in mind that you have to do it gently so as not to damage the camera. Then gently brush the surface of the lens.
- Start using the piece of cloth and gently clean the lens with it.
- If the cloth does not remove the dirt on the lens then use a small drop of lens cleaning fluid on it. Remember to use only a small drop. That should do the trick.
- Once you have cleaned the lens your next task would be to clean the LCD. You can use the cleaning paper for that. Gently rub the surface until all of the dust particles have been removed.
These are just some of the simple tips that you can follow when it comes to cleaning your digital camera.
There’s a huge difference between a traditional camera and one that’s digital. But the one thing that remains constant is the use of the lens. The lens is considered to be the eye of any camera and it is the one that really captures the image that you want to take.
Knowing Moreabout Digital Camera Lenses
In order to truly understand digital photography, you have to understand digital camera lenses and how they work. Some people believe that the number of pixels of camera is the most essential feature to be checked. Others think it is the sensor. While those two factors are important, the lens is sometimes more vital. Even if the camera has a high number of pixels and a very good sensor, if its lens is of poor quality then it is a guarantee that you would not get a good image out of it.
The Type of Lens
Camera lenses come in two types. These are based on the kind of material used for the making of the lens. There is the glass lens and then there is the plastic lens. You should try to get a glass lens when you can since that material is clearer and can provide better quality images. Plastic lenses on the other hand are more rugged and can handle rougher handling. So that might be right for certain uses.
Small cameras of the point and shoot type contain lenses that are built in to its frame. You cannot change the lens according to the type of use that you have at the moment. You would have to fiddle with the other controls of the camera. A digital SLR camera on the other hand can be equipped with different lenses. You can get a whole set of lenses and interchange them according to the need of the occasion. This is the reason why it is the kind of camera used by professionals.
Lenses for DSLR cameras can be very expensive. Sometimes these lenses can even cost more than the actual cameras. That’s how valuable they can be. They can create very effective shots for you. So before you start investing your money on camera lenses, you have to find out exactly what it is that you need. You have to find the right type and kind that you would require for the shots that you would be taking. You should not just go out and buy a camera right away without knowing what it is that you need.
With the introduction of digital photography, the field became open for a greater number of practitioners. People who wanted to try photography in the past were hindered by the cost of the equipment and the great amount of things that they need to learn first. Back then it was considered that to learn the process of developing films as a necessary part of learning the trade.
Learning the development process involves working in the darkroom and dealing with the negatives and chemicals. On top of that, the cost of the equipment back then was really prohibitive for a lot of people who wanted to learn all about photography.
The Impact of Digital Photography
With digital photography anyone can start out with this hobby and even turn it into a profession. There are fewer things that one would have to worry about now. There is no need to think about wasting film and one can take pictures without any limits. You can also start viewing your shots immediately after taking them.
Photography Techniques for Beginners
If you are determined to learn photography now, then here are some tips that you should be able to follow:
- The most basic thing that you should learn when starting out in photography is composition. This is the way that you spread the elements of a picture. This is done by using the rule of thirds. The idea is to divide the scene into nine boxes of equal sizes and to have the elements spread out. Putting the main subject in the dead centre of the image not the best way to go.
- Exposure is another thing that you have to work on. This is how dark or how light an image would show up. Digital cameras can automatically adjust to the right level of exposure per shot, but it would be best if you would learn how to use the manual control for this.
- Pick the right mode of the camera. If you are taking pictures of moving things for example you need to place the camera on a mode that could snap pictures quickly. You have to learn all of the modes that your camera has.
- The cameras if today would automatically adjust to the kind of lighting conditions that you have when taking pictures. But it is something that you should learn how to do manually as well.
These are just a few of the things that you should learn as a beginner in [photography.
Because of the digital camera, getting into photography has become a lot easier now. It is also easier now to start a photography business than it was in the past. There are fewer things that you would have to worry about. In the past, aside from learning how to take the shots in a professional manner, you also have to worry about the developing process and the equipment that was needed for that.
There is no longer any need for all of that today. You don’t really need a dark room if you just need to setup a simple photography business. You can do all of your printing through a computer. If you want to add effects or special touch that you have to do on the images can be done there as well. That can speed things up.
Tips to Starting a Photography Business
If you are bent on starting a photo business, then here are some of the things that you have to keep in mind:
Know You Craft- First of all, before you start a photography business, you should know a lot about photography and editing first. You have to know about the various tools that you would need, you must be adept with the various techniques when it comes to taking pictures. It would be embarrassing to say the least if your client knows more than you do.
You Should Have the Equipment- You must invest in the best cameras and other equipment. You are starting a business, you have to be willing to spend money for it. You cannot just rely on second hand tools. The better your equipment and tools are, the higher chances of your success.
You Should Have a Business Sense- You are establishing a business and that is different from having photography as a hobby. There are certain things that you have to keep in mind when running a business and you should know about those first.
Respect Other Photographers- In the business of photography, you are bound to interact with others who are in the same business. Yes, they are your competition, but they can be your friends as well. In a pinch, you can rely on these fellow photographers when the going gets tough.
Develop Your Skills- You should never be satisfied with what you know. You should work continuously until you have the right level of artistic development.